365-2-50

365-2-50

Sunday 20 October 2013

October 20th 2013



If I'm honest gardening is the most important thing I do, and have done since 3 years of age. It is even more important than conservation which is oft an equal at times, but gardening is always at the top. I think this is because gardening is a positive activity and therefore good for the soul. With gardening I'm always looking forward, always making the garden environment how I want it, looking for improvement. In the past my involvement with conservation touched these points, however now my involvement is of a very passive nature, often rife with problems needing to be put into the public domain. Plus as someone who craves being outdoors all day, sadness abounds in that these days gardening is taking a second fiddle to everything else spinning around my life. But this afternoon in a break in the diabolical weather I popped out to plant up the winter pots. Above a pot containing 25 'February Gold' narcissi, 5 'scarlet' cyclamen and a transplanted Heuchera 'peaches and cream' Or at least I think that's what the Heuchera is as over time the label disintegrated and I can't find reference to this plant anywhere. Also planted elsewhere Tulip 'Calypso Scarlet' and an assortment of allium. It will be 4 months before I see any benefit from this bulb planting, which is the joy of gardening, one day a shoot will pop up through the soil and I'll think "ahh yes, I remember planting those in October"

2 comments:

  1. The pot in the photo is looking good already Andrew :) I always enjoy planting "winter pots" some with colour now from winter flowering pansies and some with bulbs to delight next Spring :) Sometimes abandoned pots I planted years ago surprise and send up shoots in the Spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abandoned pots are great fun Caroline. I had a terracotta pot I thought was empty a while back. Suddenly a whole forest of tulips erupted - wonderful sight.

    ReplyDelete