365-2-50

365-2-50

Sunday 1 December 2013

December 1st 2013

 
Advent begins today and so, as I do every year, I headed down to the Wells Cathedral Advent Service. This, as with many services around the country at this time of the year, is a spiritual uplift in the dark days of winter. The cathedral, plunged into complete darkness, is, after the medieval clock strikes 5pm, gradually lit by about 1000 service candles we  the congregation were given as we entered the cathedral. I'm a Church of England follower by design, having attended a Church school for my formative years, but now I'm secular, with leanings towards the more ancient ways of pre Christianity.  However I am quite passionate about churches and the services that are held, especially if, as today, the Wells Cathedral Choir are in full plainchant voice. Moving and spiritual. Bringing the votive candles back home gave an opportunity of the image above. A key date in my annual year, a marker for a period of calm and reflection.

 
Coupled to this every year I have an advent candle to count down the days to Christmas. Here being expertly lit by Julie not half an hour ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment