365-2-50

365-2-50

Friday 27 December 2013

December 27th 2013

 
Today was a bird watching day. I used to do a lot of bird watching but the pressure of work now means what little spare time I have I like to spend at home. But today as I am taking part on the BBC NHU's Bird Cup, I went off down to one of my favourite reserves Wiltshire Wildlife Trusts Langford Lakes in the Wylie Valley. Weather perfect for the few hours I wandered around on my own. A lot of birds to see and it was the first time I'd been there since the new flood meadow has been open to the public. I walked this former sheep field just as they were about to began work on it and its such a wonderful thing to see now that the flooding measures are in place. Open less than a year it's establishing well. Hard to think the above photo had sheep grazing on it in 2011. Below the lovely new bird hide which I like as it has glass windows. A boon on a breezy day like today.

 
A final photo. This is an appalling photo of a kingfisher but it encapsulates the joy of wildlife watching. This kingfisher was 10 feet from my car as I drove out of the reserve and ignoring me completely kept on fishing in a small pond. How I wish I'd had my camera today!


1 comment:

  1. That brand new bird hide at Langford Lakes looks fantastic. Julie x

    ReplyDelete