365-2-50

365-2-50

Wednesday 4 December 2013

December 4th 2013

 
Two unrelated photographs today but related at the same time. I've spent today in Ashdown Forest in East Sussex, the largest tract of open access land in South East England and also the inspiration for A.A.Milne's Winnie the Pooh. None of that had any bearing on why I was there today. I was there to record with Dylan Winter a piece about deer management for the series Shared Planet. As luck would have it, or sods law if you prefer, we never saw a deer until right at the end of the recording as we drove back to the carpark. Ashdown Forest has more deer collisions within it's boundary than anywhere else in Britain, yet today we couldn't find a single casualty, nor had there been any for a few days as the cold weather has apparently pushed the deer away from the forest and in essence they've disappeared. Brilliant.
 
Anyway, next to where we were recording this oak tree had an ancient number nailed on to it. No idea why but I liked the fact that this plaque had been there for a long time and must have a reason. Intriguing. Below is a strange Swedish made Christmas decoration I saw for sale in a garden centre in the forest where I stopped at for a coffee and it just appealed. Why it appealed is anyone's guess but I like it because it takes me back to my Norse ancestry. Of course it doesn't do anything of the sort, but after driving 240 miles to record 7 minutes of radio (and that was just from Wiltshire), there had to be some form of a reward!!

No comments:

Post a Comment