365-2-50

365-2-50

Tuesday 13 May 2014

May 13th 2014


Taking time to look at the familiar in a different way today over the period of daylight. I woke to some stunning cloud formations out the back of the house. I get a lot of interesting clouds as the Bristol Channel is hemmed in by Exmoor to the south and the Brecon Beacons to the north and obviously to the east it hits the Somerset coast. Air from the Atlantic mixes with continental air and also strange air masses develop over the cold water.  Often clouds change shape and form in real time as with the cloud formation above which was changing while I was in preparation for the photograph. The passing grey heron helped too.


Later in the day I could see with the naked eye 'Sugarloaf' mountain just north of Abergavenny. As the crow flies this is about 40 miles so it amazed me how clear the air must be to allow me to see this so clearly, even more clearly when I took a telephoto image of the mountain. Seems almost touchable.


As the evening progressed the clouds evaporated and a stunning light developed over this part of Somerset. Modern society does not really do sitting still and watching absolutely nothing for a long period of time, but I think it's important and rechanrges the mind seeing the familiar in a less familiar way.

No comments:

Post a Comment